Here at Inspired Spaces, we are Manchester’s leading conservatory, sun room and orangery experts. And we help home owners and property developers create stunning home additions that will meet their requirements. This includes orangeries designed for underfloor heating. But what is this? And why should you consider underfloor heating for your orangery?
What is underfloor heating?
Underfloor heating is a form of heating that involves using electrical cables to generate heat for electrical underfloor heating, or water and pipes for a heated water underfloor heating system. Whichever system you choose, the equipment will be installed in the floor of your orangery, so it can be practical to choose the type of underfloor heating you want, before the orangery building process.
What are the advantages of underfloor heating for orangeries?
There are a number of benefits and advantages to choosing underfloor heating for your orangery. These advantages include:
- Easier to install- deciding to install underfloor heating for your orangery can make this a much easier process than it would be if you were retrofitting this in another room. This is because before the floor is created as part of the building process, the underfloor heating can be installed. This can even help reduce installation costs for the underfloor heating, and it will definitely reduce the mess and issues associated with retrofitting.
- Effective heating method- both electrical and wet underfloor heating methods are very effective as the whole of the screed ( the cemented, smooth floor surface) acts as a thermal store. This provides heat and warmth to the whole room, from the floor up, so that even in freezing temperatures, your orangery can remain warm and comfortable. With underfloor heating you also have the added advantage of keeping your feet lovely and warm when walking across the tiled surface.
- No wall space needed- with underfloor heating, you wont need to use up valuable wall space with radiators or other heating equipment. This is because the heating will instead come from the floor, allowing you to have more free space within the orangery itself.
What are the considerations for underfloor heating in your orangery?
While underfloor heating can bring a range of benefits, there are also some considerations to take into account. These include:
- Type of electrical underfloor heating- if you opt for an electrical underfloor heating system, there are two types to choose from. An in screed cable can be very effective, but the other option, a heat mat, can be very inefficient. If you will want to heat your orangery for long periods of time, and have this temperature maintained, you should avoid the electrical heat mat option. However, if you only need the space heating for a short time, the heat mat will heat up almost immediately, and be more than suitable.
- Installation costs- wet underfloor heating often has a higher installation cost than electrical heating, or even radiators. To this end, if your orangery is already built, installing radiators can be a much more cost effective option.
For more information or for professional advice about your new sun room or orangery, and the heating options, get in touch with the team today, here at Inspired Spaces.