Here at Inspired Spaces, we are Manchester’s leading conservatory, sun room and orangery experts. And we help home owners and property developers create stunning home additions that will meet their requirements. This includes creating an energy efficient, or eco friendly space. But what are the considerations for this? Well, this is our guide to everything you should know about creating an eco-friendly orangery.
Important considerations for creating an eco-friendly orangery
There are a number of important considerations to take into account when designing and building your orangery, especially if you want to create an eco-friendly space. These considerations include:
- Thermal efficiency- glass is often thought of as a weak point in home insulation. So how can a whole glass extension be thermally efficient? Well it all depends on the type of glass you choose. Here at Inspired Spaces, we use 6 mm toughened outer glass, 16mm of argon gas in the centre and a further 6mm low E toughened glass to the inner, giving an overall thickness of 28mm. This helps to prevent heat loss from your orangery.
- Heating- so now you know your orangery can keep the heat in, what about heating it up? An orangery is the perfect type of home extension that can provide the opportunity to think of a different style of heating option like underfloor heating. This can be incredibly energy efficient and eco-friendly.
- Natural light- of course one obvious advantage of a home extension with a glass roof is the increase in natural light. This means less reliance on artificial light, so reducing your use of electricity. There are also a host of health and well being benefits related to an increase in natural light too.
- Carbon footprint- another important consideration for eco-friendly design is the carbon footprint associated with the build and installation. This includes the travel cost for the materials and professional installation team. Here at Inspired Spaces, we are a local company, so you can be sure of a smaller impact on carbon usage.
- The direction of the orangery- as unusual as it may sound, the direction of the orangery can actually play an important role in efficiency. An orangery that gets more natural light, for longer, will help you reduce energy bills further by staying naturally warm and lit. So when thinking about where to install the orangery, consider the direction.
For more information or for professional advice about your new sun room or orangery, get in touch with the team today, here at Inspired Spaces.