Here at Inspired Spaces, we are Manchester’s leading conservatory, sun room and orangery experts. We install a range of high quality, professional sun room options. And this is our guide to everything you should know about the benefits of using the right lighting in your orangery.
What is the importance of effective orangery lighting?
Orangery lighting is often overlooked during the planning and design phase, because orangeries typically bring a lot of natural light to a property. Because of this, artificial light seems almost surplus to requirements. But this is not the case. In fact, there are a number of things to consider in relation to both natural and artificial orangery lighting, and getting these right can bring a number of benefits, including:
- A more practical orangery space for your everyday use- different orangeries will serve different purposes, and choosing the right lighting can ensure that your orangery is designed with this purpose in mind to increase the practicality of your space.
- A brighter space- while an orangery can be filled with natural light, it always pays to have more light, to brighten up any room. Artificial lighting that is well elected and complementary to the orangery overall is likely to be very useful on overcast or darker winter days, as well as evenings, brightening up the room and adding visual warmth.
What are the considerations for effective orangery lighting?
There are a number of considerations to take into account when deciding on the right lighting for your orangery. These include:
- The direction your orangery faces- while a south facing orangery is likely to be well lit for most of the day, orangeries facing other directions may not. Artificial lighting that is designed for the interior theme and decor of your property, and provides a goof level of light will act as a secondary light source. This should be positioned to illuminate as much of the space as possible.
- The purpose of your orangery- as discussed above, orangeries can be used for many purposes. The purpose of your orangery should determine the type of lighting you use. For example, in an orangery home office there may need to be more task lighting, and an effective option for reducing natural light and glare in the space. While for an orangery living area, as much light as possible will be the best option.
- The size of the roof lanterns- if you plan to use roof lanterns for your orangery, you need to determine how large these should be and where they should be positioned. For large orangeries you may need to install two roof lanterns for the right amount of light.
- Task lighting- while natural light can be perfect for ambient background lighting, your orangery may be a space where task lighting is also required. This includes reading lamps in living areas as well as task lighting for food preparation in kitchens.
For more information or for professional advice about your new orangery design or installation get in touch with the team today, here at Inspired Spaces.